Testing a potential One Point Oh tarball/zip

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon Feb 6 09:56:19 EST 2006

<quote who="A.M. Kuchling">

> The tarball seems OK, but there needs to be an UPGRADING file explaining
> what to do: e.g. deleting the old cache.

Hrm! I guess I assumed most Planet users would be on the 1.0 branch already,
but that is a pretty daft assumption. Thanks.

> I've just upgraded Planet Python at http://planet.python.org/, and losing
> the cache means that everything is viewed as 'new' and a random selection
> of stories is displayed; the top story is now one dated 22 Nov 2004.  I
> expect this will sort itself out as new articles get written, but is there
> a way to avoid this problem from the start?

Hmm. Interesting problem. We ignore dates because Everybody Lies [1], though
it may make sense to check the date of new feeds when they appear, sort them
into the stack so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Thanks,

- Jeff

[1] House, MD.

--
FOSDEM 2006: Brussels, Belgium                    http://www.fosdem.org/2006

   "You know, the crunchy, folk-singer part of me wants to believe that a
     performance is a dialogue, but I can't hear a fucking thing you're
                          saying." - Ani DiFranco