google custom search engine + opml

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Oct 24 19:28:40 EST 2006

<quote who="Baz">

> Read this this morning, though it would be interesting to planeteers:
> http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/review-custom-search-engine/
>
> ... what he describes there is pretty much a recipe for a planet
> search engine. Downsides:
>
> - no use for planets of intranet feeds (like mine)
> - you have to manually synch up the planet feed list and the search
> engine.

Oddly enough, I've just been chatting with a GNOME hacker / Google hacker
about using this for Planet GNOME -- I've semi-requested an OPML update
feature (as opposed to OPML upload), which would allow anyone running a
Planet to set up custom search in a *jiffy*.

Groovy stuff!

- Jeff

--

  "Suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full
   of what looked like huge bats." - Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las