Venus thoughts

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Tue Oct 10 16:31:53 EST 2006

Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2006, Mary Gardiner wrote:
>>  2. A feature Planet supports that I can't figure out how to
>>     do with Venus: individual configuration of template files.
>>
>>     In Planet it was done like so:
>>
>>     [/home/mary/pathtofile/atom.xml.tmpl]
>>     items_per_page = 20
>>
>>     Venus will treat this as an attempt to fetch a URL.
>
> All right, if you use a full path it treats it as a URL. If you use just
> the filename it seems to ignore the value.

What Venus does at the moment is take the max items_per_page across all
templates, selects that many, and then passes those through all templates.

Venus started out life as a radical refactoring, test driven
development, YAGNI, and all that.  This is an area that is incomplete.

> Re memory usage I should add that it's nice that it only blows out at
> splice time. With mainline Planet it uses 20–40MB+ for the entire
> lifetime of the process, which can be hard on swap.

For memory constrained environments, XSLT may turn out to be be preferred.

- Sam Ruby