feedparser and timeoutsocket

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue May 9 14:56:26 EST 2006

Hey,

While running trunk on Planet GNOME and my personal planet, I've discovered
that the timeoutsocket code in feedparser has been removed [1] (at least it
was after a long history of changes of it being disabled, enabled, removed,
added back, and then finally, apparently removed for good).

This has resulted in a few things:

 * I'm getting way more 500 errors than before, which you'd expect

 * Planet takes even longer to run

 * Every now and then, the process appears to get stuck, though I've yet to
   figure out why (the Python-happy gdb backtrace wasn't entirely helpful to
   me, perhaps others might find it informative [2])

So - thoughts? Should we badger the feedparser people to put it back in (as
an option, maybe)? Should we set it up ourselves in Planet? Are there good
reasons to not use timeoutsocket at all?

Thanks,

- Jeff

[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/feedparser/feedparser/feedparser.py?r1=1.89&r2=1.90
[2] http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/2006/planet-hang-bt.txt

--
LinuxWorldExpo: Johannesburg, South Africa  http://www.linuxworldexpo.co.za/

           What do you call remote Linux firewall administration?
                              Rusty Roulette.