1.0 release

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:07:10 EST 2006

On 5/4/06, Mary Gardiner <mary-planet at puzzling.org> wrote:
> Anyone know of any showstopper bugs preventing a stable release? Anyone
> else in favour of poking Jeff until he does some magic?

On windows, the second time planet runs, it will fail, claiming its
unable to unlock  a file. It happens because the locking code in
htmltmpl is broken. Htmltmpl will also bomb out if it doesnt know how
to lock on your platform, and you've asked for precompilation, which
planet always does.

There's a few solutions: make precompilation something that can be
turned on and off in planet (small change but makes things slower on
windows); autodetect windows and turn off precompilation (I posted
this fix before); or rip the locking code out of htmltmpl and use
portalocker instead, which will make things faster again. My
preference would be for the configuration change now, and portalocker
later, since its a testable change; autodetection requires testing on
multiple platforms.

Also on windows, the code that handles redirects won't work because we
don't have symlinks. The problem is ignorable, but planet falls over.
I posted a fix a while back.

-Baz