character encoding

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Wed Mar 22 14:17:35 EST 2006

Chris Dolan:
> It might be the gzip encoding on the content.  I vaguely recall
> reading that the browser doesn't see the <meta> tag until too late
> when compressed, but I might be misremembering.  In any case, your
> Apache is not specifying any encoding.  Try putting the following in
> a .htaccess or httpd.conf:
>
>   AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

That doesn't seem to help.

> For the record, http://zgp.org/~dmarti/planet/ looks fine to me, but
> that's probably because I have my Firefox prefs set to UTF-8 as the
> default encoding.

It looks fine to me, too.  That was the *point*.  Why does *his* planet
work, but not mine?  We're grabbing from the same source!

I think my firefox is UTF-8 by default as well.

--
So are you an honest-to-cripes Atkins dieter with the           Nick Moffitt
little urine test strips and the blood analysis and the   nick at teh.entar.net