character encoding

Chris Dolan chris at chrisdolan.net
Wed Mar 22 13:39:02 EST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 7:58 PM, Nick Moffitt wrote:

> Michel Klijmij-van der Laan:
>> My planet (http://planeetgroenlinks.klijmij.net/) has a problem with
>> encoding. It's in UTF-8, which it properly says so. Some of the feeds
>> aren't, but I couldn't find any setting about that in the config or
>> code.
>
> See, mine says it's UTF-8, it loads UTF-8 entries, and *still* it has
> trouble.
>
> So hit http://zork.net/laziness/ and search for "rising sun".  Then
> hit
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/planet/ and do the same.  How come his planet
> gets the 漢字, but mine doesn't?  I've done a "baz update" and
> cleared
> the cache and everything, but to no effect.

It might be the gzip encoding on the content.  I vaguely recall
reading that the browser doesn't see the <meta> tag until too late
when compressed, but I might be misremembering.  In any case, your
Apache is not specifying any encoding.  Try putting the following in
a .htaccess or httpd.conf:

   AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

For the record, http://zgp.org/~dmarti/planet/ looks fine to me, but
that's probably because I have my Firefox prefs set to UTF-8 as the
default encoding.

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software
(http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary
Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)

--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, http://www.chrisdolan.net/