memory-reduced planet?

Mary Gardiner mary-planet at puzzling.org
Mon Jul 31 23:08:00 EST 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006, Sam Ruby wrote:
> I'd like to propose a radical rewrite.  One with an entirely different
> cache implementation.

I don't think anyone likes the current cache implementation. I'm
proposing incremental changes mostly because they're what I have time
for. Whatever format the cache though, the main thing for memory usage
is not doing something along the lines of:

for all entries ever seen:
    load entry into memory
    leave it there until process ends

I'm slightly concerned by radical re-writes, just because some of the
complexity in the current code is undoubtedly there for a reason.
(Mostly variations on the "someone changes some 'small' thing in their
blog setup, all their entries jump to the top of the planet theme.)
However, without tests or documentation describing the purpose of those
parts of the code, it's rather hard to work out which bits of ugliness
result from bad coding and which from bad feeds.

-Mary