Installation Question

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:52:39 EST 2006

(sigh... just made the mistake of replying directly again. sorry for
the dupe shervin)

Shervin -

Since planet is written in a scripting language there can't be
anything other than a source release. Binary releases only make sense
for programs written in compiled languages. The documentation is
sparse, but planet is extremely simple to use. Here's the instructions
rewritten from a windows perspective (there aren't many planet users
under windows, but I've used it this way):

 0.
   Install python. I prefer the ActivePython distribution:
   http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/
   since unlike the python.org windows build, this includes the
windows bindings.
   This will also make .py files executable.

 i.
   Next you'll need to extract the files into a folder somewhere.
   I expect you've already done this, after all, you're reading this
   file.  You can place this wherever you like, C:\planet is a good
   choice, but so's anywhere else you prefer.
   Errors due to the failure to create 'arch' directories are ignorable,
   you only need to have these directories if you are going to be
   contributing patches back to planetplanet.org.

 i 1/2.
   Next you need to patch planet.py due to a bug running planet on
   windows. Open up planet.py and look for the line:

manager = planet.htmltmpl.TemplateManager()

   replace this with:

manager = planet.htmltmpl.TemplateManager(precompile = 0)

   there are other issues running planet under windows, but this is the only
   one that will stop planet from working at all.

 ii.
   Make a copy of the files in the 'examples' subdirectory, and either
   the 'basic' or 'fancy' subdirectory of it and put them wherever
   you like; I like to use the Planet's name (so C:\planet\dotnet), but
   it's really up to you.

   The 'basic' index.html and associated config.ini are pretty plain
   and boring, if you're after less documentation and more instant
   gratification you may wish to use the 'fancy' ones instead.  You'll
   want the stylesheet and images from the 'output' directory if you
   use it.

 iii.
   Edit the config.ini file in this directory to taste, it's pretty
   well documented so you shouldn't have any problems here.  Pay
   particular attention to the 'output_dir' option, which should be
   readable by your web server and especially the 'template_files'
   option where you'll want to change "examples" to wherever you just
   placed your copies.

 iv.
   Edit the various template (*.tmpl) files to taste, a complete list
   of available variables is at the bottom of this file.

 v.
   Run it: for example planet.py dotnet\config.ini

   Once you're happy with the output of your planet, you'll want to add this
   to your Scheduled Tasks, make sure you run it from the
   right directory (if you installed as above, it's C:\planet). To do
this, you should
   add a task which is a batch file containing something like:

rem cd doesnt switch drives, next line is required if
rem your home dir is on another drive.
c:
cd c:\planet
planet.py dotnet\config.ini

 vi.
   Tell us about it! We'd love to link to you on planetplanet.org :-)

For more detail about some issues running under windows, see here:
http://lists.waugh.id.au/archives/devel/2006-February/000676.html