Problem loading images from Blogger in post.

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Mon Oct 23 21:30:59 EST 2006

Gabriel Labelle wrote:
>> So I installed venus and enabled the coral_cdn_filter and thanks to Sam
>> I can now see in the page source that the blogger images
>> have .nyud.net:8080 added to their url but I still can't see the images
>> on the planet.
>>
>> When I try, for example, to access directly the image using one of these
>> URL-TO-IMAGE.nyud.net:8080 I get to see the image after an unusual wait
>> period.
>>
>> http://photos1.blogger.com.nyud.net:8080/blogger2/5116/566279504979817/320/IMGP0320.jpg
>>
>> So in fact the blogger images would appear on the planet after a couple
>> page refresh and alot of patience. Some images simply never show up.
>>
>> Is there something I can do to get to see those images appearing
>> normally on the planet?
>>
>> My test planet running venus is http://www.unix.tv.
>
> I now migrated my main planet to venus and use Sam's coral_cdn_filter.py
> -> http://www.quebecois.eu.
>
> I still have problems with the blogger images (Coral CDN really slow to
> serv) and some embedded stuff like flash movies because it seems that
> the planet do not take in consideration the various tags like <style>
> and <object, etc. within the blog posts.

Actually, the Universal Feed Parser (upon which all versions of Planet
are based) actively strips object tags:

http://feedparser.org/docs/html-sanitization.html

> Is there anything I can do about it? Sorry for bugging you with my
> questions but I'm almost there! ;-)

I'm sorry that I don't know how to make the Coral CDN faster or more
reliable, but if the problem is that it takes longer the first time an
image is ever referenced, perhaps it would make sense for the filter to
fetch the image?  This would make the planet run take longer, but that's
generally a background process.

Thoughts?

- Sam Ruby