http://planete.websemantique.org/ and user defined content filtering

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Sat Oct 14 22:46:07 EST 2006

Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> Le jeudi 12 octobre 2006 à 07:27 -0400, Sam Ruby a écrit :
>
>> Hopefully, this will be enough to get you started.  But mostly, have
>> fun!, and if you have any questions, ask them here.
>
> Just to let you know that I have published a first version with the user
> controlled filters I was mentioning.

Cool!

Two javascript suggestions, implementations of which can be found here:

http://planet.intertwingly.net/personalize.js

(1) take a look at createCookie and readCookie.  You can set things up
so that the reader's preferences are remembered.  No server support is
required -- you can continue to serve these pages statically.

(2) search for '// hook event'.  You can get rid of the body onload, and
(at least for firefox, and possibly others) get rid of the initial
'flash' when occurs when you see the initial page displayed and then
elements are removed.

> It's still very close to the plain vanilla one and visible at the same
> address (http://planete.websemantique.org/).
>
> The automatic category detection is done by a XSLT filter and the
> language detection by a Python filter based on the trigram Python recipe
> (http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/326576).
>
> The next steps should be to localize the page (I think I will try to
> switch to XSLT which is more to my taste than the templating language)
> and to change the CSS...

If you think that any parts of what you produce will inspire others, I'd
love to see those parts included as examples in Venus.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Eric

- Sam Ruby