Venus and a single cache directory?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Oct 4 10:18:37 EST 2006

<quote who="Sam Ruby">

> So... if you had (for example) three config.inis which specified three
> (possibly overlapping) sets of feeds, but specified the same
> cache_directory, and you defined a fourth config.ini which contained the
> union of feeds and specified the same cache_directory, you could "spider"
> the latter (fetching the data), and then serially "splice" using the
> original definitions (producing the output).

>From this paragraph, it sounds like sharing the cache directory results in
the same behaviour we get with Planet 2.0 today -- after retrieving the feed
for the first time, subsequent processes will benefit from I-M-S and E-Tag
optimisation, but still do the request. The rest of your email describes a
way of dodging multiple requests. Right?

- Jeff

--

     "Everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight?" -
                           Weezer, Pink Triangle