Local Planet Server?

Sam Ruby rubys at intertwingly.net
Thu May 18 23:28:03 EST 2006

Michael Foord wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> I've committed some code to my respository that allows Planet to act as
>> a standalone HTTP server, with an intention of growing it into a simple,
>> and easy to use interface by which people can create and manage their
>> own planet instances.
>>
>> Feedback welcome:
>>
>>   http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/05/15/Planet-Server
>>
>> In fact, I'd love to be able to someday (Edgy Eft?) do the following:
>>
>>   apt-get install planet
>>   /etc/init.d/planet/start
>
> Isn't this the point of` `PlantPlus
> <http://planetplus.python-hosting.com/>`_ ?

I was previously unaware of PlanetPlus.

My goals are more modest, and the implementation is much smaller and
much less dependency laden.  In particular, no SQLObject required.

If you have an existing planet installation, one need only add a
"SERVER_SOCKET" value to your config.ini, and a "-s" option to the call
to planet.py and you are up and running.  A few more settings in your
config.ini, and you have enabled HTTPS and/or HTTP Authentication.  This
part is fully implemented.

At the moment, what you see when you visit the web page is the standard
"fancy" template view of your subscriptions, with an additional input
field and a button or two at the top.  Using the input field, you can
enter a feed that you wish to subscribe to, and you will see a preview
of that feed.

I haven't yet implemented the actual subscribing bits.

Clicking on a subscription from the list will also show you just that
feed.  Additionally an unsubscribe button will appear at the top -
that's also not yet implemented.

Future plans include feed autodiscovery, OPML import, and enabling you
to use your own templates, as long as you add in the following:

<TMPL_IF admin>
<TMPL_VAR admin>
</TMPL_IF>

(Of course, you may wish to add to your CSS too).

- Sam Ruby