PlanetPlanet Debian or Ubuntu Package?

Benj. Mako Hill mako at atdot.cc
Mon Jul 31 23:44:42 EST 2006

<quote who="Shane Graber" date="Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 09:18:37AM -0400">
> Has anyone packaged up planetplanet for either Debian or Ubuntu?  So
> far I haven't seen it in either one's repositories.

AFAIK, no, but I'll be happy to be corrected.

Web applications are a little unruly in debs and neither Debian nor
Ubuntu has been able to come with a decent policy describing a good,
widely applicable way of doing web app packages.

There are a number of limitations that would be associated with a
packaged version of planetplanet. For example, I run more than one
copy of a planet on a single machine but Debian packages don't support
multiple installations of the same package. Most packaged web apps
simply accept this but those that do get around it do it in
non-standard ways (e.g., complex configuration files, symbolic links).

I also suspect that when package is split up among the filesystem is a
FHS compliant way, you might find it more confusing than the default
setup.

Regards,
Mako

--