memory-reduced planet? [was Re: Merge request: http://users.puzzling.org/users/mary/bzr/planet/branches/move-data/]

Mary Gardiner mary-planet at puzzling.org
Sun Jul 30 07:58:07 EST 2006

On Sat, Jul 29, 2006, Richard Dawe wrote:
> Could you describe what the problem and potential solutions are, please?

Not in depth, I'm currently on holiday.

However, essentially the problems are that:
 1. every entry ever seen is stored in the cache
 2. the entire cache is loaded into memory

The reason that 1 is the case (I believe, it isn't documented) is so
that if old old entries pop up in the feed they don't get displayed
again.

I was going to fix this in two stages:
 1. delete the *text* of old entries from the cache, so that while the
    entire cache is still loaded into memory the memory amount is at least
    smaller.
 2. stop it loading the whole cache into memory

I am not sure that this will have an enormous impact on the CPU usage to
be honest, I am specifically interested  in the memory usage/swapping.

-Mary