Debugging feedparser

Simon Morris simon.morris at cmtww.com
Wed Apr 26 22:04:40 EST 2006

Hello,

I mailed this list a while ago about my Serendipity feed that wasn't
playing nicely with Planet

http://lists.waugh.id.au/archives/devel/2006-February/000683.html

I think we decided that the version of feedparser the guy who runs our
planet site is using was old.

He gave me this debug he encounters when trying to syndicate my site...
at the moment I don't appear on planet.gllug.org.uk at all :(

$ /home/dwilson/sandbox/bin/run_planet_gllug.sh
ERROR:root:Update from
<http://beerandspeech.org/index.php?/feeds/index.rss2> failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/home/dwilson/planetgllug/planet.py", line 134, in ?
     channel.update()
   File "planetlib.py", line 184, in update
     self._update(baseuri, data)
   File "planetlib.py", line 288, in _update
     feed.feed(data)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/sgmllib.py", line 95, in feed
     self.goahead(0)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/sgmllib.py", line 134, in goahead
     k = self.parse_endtag(i)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/sgmllib.py", line 303, in parse_endtag
     self.finish_endtag(tag)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/sgmllib.py", line 343, in finish_endtag
     self.unknown_endtag(tag)
   File "feedparser.py", line 358, in unknown_endtag
     method()
   File "feedparser.py", line 778, in _end_content
     value = self.pop('content')
   File "feedparser.py", line 480, in pop
     output = resolveRelativeURIs(output, self.baseuri)
   File "feedparser.py", line 897, in resolveRelativeURIs
     data = p.output()
   File "feedparser.py", line 853, in output
     return "".join(self.pieces)
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

My question is - What tests can I do myself to try and track down where
things are going wrong? Can I prove that my feed is to blame here at
all, or is it feedparser?

Thanks

~sm