Question from the installation guide

Baz brian.ewins at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 04:34:27 EST 2006

On 4/21/06, Shervin Asgari <shervin at linpro.no> wrote:
> shervin at cash:~/var/planet-nightly$ echo $PATH
> /opt/j2se/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/opt/tomcat-5.5.16/bin/:/usr/lib/python2.4
>
> Python is in PATH
>
> shervin at cash:/usr/lib/python2.4$ python
[snip]
> I don't know if it is correct to put PYTHON in the PATH like that,
> because normally you put in bin or something, but I couldn't find bin
> anywhere, and python was inside /usr/lib/python2.4/ , so I don't know.

(please keep replies on the list)
No, that's definitely not normal. I don't use Ubuntu, but what I'd
*expect* to see would be a symlink from /usr/bin/python to the real
executables (in /usr/lib/python2.4 etc). You may have symlinks missing
but it is hard to tell when you cd into /usr/lib/python2.4 to execute
things! Couldn't you just post the results of 'which python', or even
ls -l `which python` from your planet directory? Or the command I
asked you to run: /usr/bin/env python? You shouldn't have had to mess
with your PATH at all.

Someone else may want to comment but it sounds like your environment
is messed up. These questions would be better asked on the ubuntu or
python mailing lists though, its a basic assumption for planet that
you have '/usr/bin/env python' working.

-Baz